Because I found even at the 1’ length it so difficult to get eight slats glued neatly together, I decided to prepare two plywood octagonal baffles: one 18” up from the bottom, one 36” up (without much of a reason; it just struck me as aesthetically suitable. Also, I found this site incredibly helpful for calculating the appropriate octagonal dimensions). I cut the holes in the baffles with my router to a radius of 3 ½” (see baffles in picture). I glued and clamped the first two slats to the baffles on opposing sides. Every twelve hours I added two more, working clockwise around the baffles. The last two needed to be somewhat popped into place. Needless to say, the joinery was (and is) not perfect.